This is a nice twist to the classic tuna sandwich. This modern classic combines cannellini beans, mayo, onion, and topped with cheese, leafy greens, and tomato. It's a quick and easy sandwich recipe that is sure to please; here are the directions;
1. In a medium bowl, stir together tuna, cannellini beans, red onion, and garlic. Stir in the mayonnaise. Set aside.
2. Preheat an electric sandwich press, a covered indoor grill, a grill pan, or a skillet. To assemble sandwiches, spread one side of each bread slice with butter. Spread the plain sides of half of the bread slices with tuna mixture. Top tuna mixture with tomato slices, basil leaves, and cheese. Top with remaining bread slices, buttered sides up.
3. Place sandwiches (half at a time, if necessary) in the sandwich press or indoor grill; cover and and cook about 6 minutes or until cheese melts and bread is toasted. (If using a grill pan or skillet, place sandwiches on grill pan. Weight sandwiches down and grill about 2 minutes or until bread is toasted. Turn sandwiches over, weight down, and grill until remaining side is toasted.) Makes 4 sandwiches.
* 2 7.1-ounce packages Albacore tuna (waterpack), drained and
* 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans (white kidney), rinsed, drained,
and slightly mashed
* 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1/4 cup mayonnaise
* 8 1/2-inch-thick slices country Italian or sourdough bread, or
white or whole wheat sandwich bread
* 3 tablespoons butter, softened
* 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
* 1 cup lightly packed large fresh basil leaves
* 4 ounces sliced Havarti, mozzarella, or provolone cheese